Tuesday, October 15, 2013

MEN AND WOMEN, WOMEN AND MEN, IT WILL NEVER WORK...Erica Jong

DAMAGE
Today I delivered this quilt to the Surprise City Hall in Surprise AZ.  The quilt will be part of a 2 month exhibit of two dimensional  art.

The inspiration for this quilt came from a quote by Erica Jong..."MEN AND WOMEN, WOMEN AND MEN, IT WILL NEVER WORK."  I created this quilt while my mind explored the LOVE-HATE relationship of a man and a women when love goes wrong...DAMAGE.  Of all the paradoxes of love, though, perhaps the most inextricable connection that love has IS with hatred.  And in a fascinating twist, the pains of love are often a source of pleasure.



     LOVE... IT HURTS SO GOOD!

How did she do that?

Damage is a piece that was created with intuitive cutting and piecing.  That means I did it with no pattern, no rulers, no pins, NO RULES, NO HOW.  I didn't even know what the quilt would be until the background was done and it told me what it wanted to be.  Then I added the figures and stamped the words... DAMAGE 












No comments:

Post a Comment