Thursday, October 10, 2013

A WHALE OF A TIME

Wallstreet detail

Wallstreet

The buzzards are circling, the bears are growling and the whales have gotten all the cream.  It's all happening on Wallstreet.  This is the quilt that was accepted into Art Quilts XVIII at the Chandler Center of the Arts.

I made this quilt when the market was going down, down, down, and everyone thought it would never come back.  I decided to make my statement...a tongue in cheek quilt.  I thought to defuse the moment by poking fun at the situation.  To do this I used an unusual set of characters.  Or maybe not so unusual at all.

The center of the quilt is all painted surface design, most of which was made with a handcarved block that I made on one of our artist playdays.

Under the ties I appliqued some more characters, such as the sheep in wolf's clothing and the wolf in sheep's duds.

This is one quilt that says "PLEASE TOUCH".

 

Now we turn it over and on the back is a bull's market, check out the hedge funds.  I have to get my little bit of naughty in.

 

check out Art Quilts XVIII at Chandler Center for the Arts. For more information go to 

No comments:

Post a Comment