Saturday, March 15, 2014

KICKING AND SCREAMING




KICKING AND SCREAMING... That was me when Betty was trying to get me to take her free motion quilting class and learn how to do it the RIGHT way.  I had been resisting for a long time.  It was because I didn't want any one to see that I was doing it the wrong way.

AND YES THERE IS A WRONG WAY.

KICKING AND SCREAMING
Actually we don't look all that put out in this picture.  We were kicking up our heels and having fun at this quilt show in New Mexico and I have to admit that we had a pretty good time at the quilting class....
                BUT DON'T TELL BETTY.

I tell everyone that I went to keep Betty from nagging me, but the truth is ...

                 I KNEW I NEEDED IT!

This is the kind of quilting I was doing.  It was perfectly fine, but since all I could do was straight lines...
STITCH REGULATOR.


       I could wander around a quilt pretty well, but it was pretty boring.


I did an awfully lot of quilt turning and starting and stopping.  It was good enough to win ribbons, but not good enough to make me feel good about it.  Feeling good about my work is very important to me.  I needed to do better...
NOT FOR BETTY, BUT FOR MYSELF.                     

I needed to empower myself...kinda ironic as
a great many of my quilts are about female empowerment.


I took the class today along with four other lovely women and we really did have fun.  I won't say the tracing and practicing is my favorite thing to do, but I did see my stitching improving.

I would advise anyone that wants to quilt to take Betty's class.  And I hope she reads my blog and that this gets me some brownie points.


Another weird thing happened today.  The first weird thing was that I actually enjoyed myself and the second was that as I was leaving the class I put my big machine on it's side in a suitcase and Betty said not to lay it down on it's side.  I joked that I had given away my old rolling sewing case and that if I was going to continue to bring my big machine, I had better go to Goodwill and find a new one.

                 I WENT,
                 I DID....
                 HAPPY QUILTING...REDFOX

1 comment: