Thursday, January 9, 2014

HERE WE GO AGAIN!


Today I spent the whole afternoon just entering another quilt show.  Why does it take me the whole afternoon?  It is because I am practically a virgin on the computer.  Well it is good to be a virgin at something, although I think you are either a virgin or you are not.  I guess "Almost a virgin" is considered an oxymoron.  It takes me longer to enter the quilts than it does to make them.
                                ALMOST.

The show I am entering is a SAQA New Mexico art show at the Hubbard Museum.  New Mexico is my second state in the SAQA organization.  SAQA stands for Studio Art Quilt Associates.  The show is called Beyond traditions and we could enter 3 quilts and 2 three dimensional pieces. 

REALITY IS ONLY A RORSCHACH INKBLOT  37x52

The inspiration for this quilt came from a quote by Alan Watts.  "Reality is only a Rorschach inkblot, you know."  It was created for a former show with a Paradox theme.  It got into that show and now I'm gonna see if it works again.  We keep these quilts busy earning their keep by sending them out to one show after the other.

Entering quilts in shows is kinda like rolling the dice.  Sometimes they get in, sometimes they don't.

I created this quilt by pouring black and white craft paint onto fabric, then folding the fabric over the paint to get the inkblot image.  I had to get it exactly right the first time because I was almost out of paint and since it was midnight there was no store open for refills.

BESIDES, I WANTED IT WHEN I WANTED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBSESSION 30x50
 Have you ever heard the saying...

THREE TIMES THE CHARM?

Well I sure hope it is true.  This quilt won a blue ribbon at the Arizona Quilting Guild state show, but at the last show I tried to get it in, they said, "no thank you".  At the one before that it was no thanks also.  So this is the third time since it won that ribbon.  It thought it was big time, and now it's feelings are hurt...The quilt's, not mine.  I'm learning to roll with the dice.

Wonder why they don't like it.  Perhaps it is the subject matter.  It is heavy on the mixed media and like its title, it's pretty much on the dark side.  The quilt is about the controversial  artist 
 Frieda Kahlo...
AND SHE WASN'T VERY NICE!

Frieda had many lovers, both male and female, she was married twice, to the same man, and she once painted a picture of a suicidal woman jumping from a building, and ...
      SHE GAVE IT TO HER MOTHER!
Yes, she gave it to the woman's mother...
      HOW BAD IS THAT!!!!!

Other than that she was a very nice lady.  She was an artist from Mexico, perhaps that will
give me a leg up with the New Mexico Jury...
                        NOT!

WALL STREET 37x35  
This quilt pokes gentle fun at a not so funny situation...the down turn of the economy.  This quilt is currently in an exhibit Art Quilts XVIII at Chandler AZ.  If it is chosen it will come home later this month and go on a delightful journey to New Mexico.

I used inkjet printing on fabric for the animals in my cast of Wall Street characters.  They are appliqued onto a background that I painted using stencils and a hand carved stamp.  I am especially fond of this character.
   ARE YOU LOOKING JENNITA?

There are hidden elements under the ties.  There is a wolf in sheep's clothing and a sheep in wolf's clothing.

WELL THEY ARE NOT HIDDEN ANYMORE ARE THEY?


On the back of the quilt there is a bull applique.  I don't want to say this too loud, but there are the words..."hedge funds" printed in a place on that bull that the words "hedge funds", or any other words should never be printed.  
                      PRIVATE!!!

That bull represents an UP MARKET.

   AND THAT BULL IS REALLY UP!

I also entered two altered books, but I will leave them for another time.

                   IF I GET IN THE SHOW, YOU WILL BE THE FIRST TO HEAR ABOUT IT,
                   IF I DON'T, YOU WON'T.
                 
                                          ...REDFOX 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment