Wednesday, December 12, 2018

WHO LET THE DOGS IN?



WHO LET THE DOGS IN?  GOOD QUESTION.

"Who Let The Dogs In?", just happens to be the title of my award winning Houston quilt.  AWARD WINNING sounds good doesn't it?  IT WAS!


WHO LET THE DOGS IN?

When ever I say the name of my quilt I feel an overwhelming desire to bark. 

wuff wuff



As I have become very aware of the divided politics in our country, I thought I would make a totally politically uncorrect political quilt.  Not wanting my friends and viewers to know what my political leanings, (practically fall over) were, I decided to bash both parties.  I made fun of everyone, and it wasn't hard to do either.  Using mock-ups of
pages from an altered book by the same title, I printed the signatures on fabric.  Then, using different folds, pockets, bells and whistles, I bordered the pages and appliqued them onto a black backing.





 I used caricatures  of the candidates and other political figures to make FUNNY or not so FUNNY cards to make the quilt interactive with the viewer.  Whether the
cards were funny or not depended on the politics of said viewer.

 Each signature was folded in a different way.  There were half pages, triangles. and different sized pockets that viewers could pull out to read back and front, under and over.
Scrabble tiles were drilled (my hubby drills a mean hole), and then sewn in place.  I hand stamped the captions and used chipboard capital letters.  Being a girly girl, I painted the chipboard with finger nail polish.

I originally made this quilt to enter in the AQG, Arizona Quilt Guild state show.  My quilt won the blue ribbon. I was honored to also win the Arizona Quilters Hall Of Fame Award.


AQG   blue ribbon and me

Most people at the show loved the quilt, but there were a few that said "that's awful" and rushed on by.  Like real politics, people only saw what they wanted to.

The one thing that surprised me was that when people asked if they could guess my political    bent, most of them guessed wrong.                   

WHO'D OF THUNK?
Redfox              





No comments:

Post a Comment